SEXUALLY ABUSED CHILDREN AND YOUTH: UNDERSTANDING THE DEVELOPMENTAL IMPACT AND FACILITATING RECOVERY
Dr. Jennifer Shaw
From the Eliana Gil Institute for Trauma Recovery and Education, Fairfax, Virginia
This two-day workshop will include an overview of the impact of sexual trauma on the overall development of a child. Day 1 will be include a detailed review of types of sexual trauma and its’ effect on the brain at different developmental stages. Day 1 will provide a foundation for Day 2. Day 2 will focus on effective, research-informed therapies for children and youth to include play-based and expressive arts with sexually abused children. Case illustration of children at various ages and specific expressive arts approaches to the illustrations (including sand therapy, art therapy, play therapy) will be described in detail.
Dr. Jennifer Shaw is a founding partner and therapist at the Gil Institute for Trauma Recovery & Education in Fairfax, Virginia, a group private practice opened with Dr. Eliana Gil.
Dr. Shaw received her Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Clinical Psychology from the American School of Professional Psychology, Washington, D.C. Dr. Shaw has worked in a number of clinical settings and capacities in the Washington D.C. metro area prior to her current specialization in the assessment and treatment of childhood trauma. Dr. Shaw provides individual, family, and group therapy to children, adolescents, and adults with a history of childhood abuse. She has co-authored a Guilford publication with Dr. Eliana Gil, entitled Working with Children with Sexual Behavior Problems and has authored several chapters in play therapy publications. She is co-developer and program coordinator for Boundary Project, a treatment program for children who present with sexual behavior problems. Dr. Shaw also collaborated with Dr. Gil on a book for children, called “A Kid’s Book About Private Parts, Touching, Touching Problems, and Other Stuff.” Dr. Shaw presents on child abuse and related clinical and treatment issues both locally, nationally and internationally.
** REGISTRATION INFORMATION ** PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
1. Register on-line at www.bcplaytherapy.ca Payment in full must be received to secure a seat at the workshop. If you are a BCPTA member, please find your discount coupon on the BCPTA website under the Member category.
2. The cancellation fee before Feb 12, 2016 is $25. In order to cancel your registration, please send us a cancellation notice via email at email@example.com no later than Feb 12, 2016. No refund is issued if you cancel your registration after Feb 12, 2016.
3. Please note that all payments received and/or processed on workshop day will be processed at manual registration rates.
4. If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. In order to receive a student rate, students will have to provide a document from their educational institution with the proof of the full-time status at the door on the day of the workshop.